Sunday, December 2, 2007

Project Triple Dip

I've always been a bit curious about sled diving, seeing as it was the first form of freediving i'd seen, via the movie The Big Blue. But in Australia there wasn't really anywhere with a sled setup for use. I'd also had a fondness for Free Immersion (FIM) since doing a lot of it in late 2005 at the SETT Tank in Portsmouth. I had planned on attempting FIM in competition sometime but hadn't had the opportunity. It's not contested often and when it was I was not able to go to the comp. So about 9 months ago Mark Harris mentioned to me that he was thinking about doing some sled I jumped at the chance and told him i'd be in on it. Soon after we got talking about available records and I decided to go for 3 records, Free Immersion, Variable Weight and No Limits. We were both on track until April and the tragic passing of Loic Leferme in a No Limits training accident. After a bit of soul searching and discussion with friends and loved ones Mark decided to concentrate on Variable and Free Immersion and I decided to continue with the original plan. Mark got in touch with Lotta Ericson from Freedive Dahab about using their facilities. After a while we got dates locked in for the first week of December, after all the big competitions had finished.

We've had a few issues here and there, our first flight was cancelled and the travel company tried to worm out of giving us a refund, we had hitches with the equipment and the Egyptian government but come hell or high water we were heading to Dahab....

No comments: